Friday 7 October 2011

How can you tell what gender your pet budgies are?

I have two pet budgies and I've been wondering whether they are male or female.



One is named Charlie, the other is named Sugar.



I've heard about determining the sex through the budgie's cere.

So it's blue for a male and brown for a female, right?



Well my budgies are a few months old now and they still have not gotten the colours on their cere! Are they late developers? Is there something wrong with them?



Sugar's cere is purple and Charlie's cere isn't really any colour.



I heard that it can take up to six weeks for budgies to develop their cere colour, but I bought them when they were about 7 weeks old, so by now they are at least around 25 weeks old. I am a bit worried as the colour hasn't changed/appeared yet.



Could you please tell me if this is common, if there is something wrong with them or how you can determine their sex through behaviour etc.?



All answers are appreciated x
How can you tell what gender your pet budgies are?
Generally, male budgies are calmer than the female. Female budgies are more territorial and have a tendancy to bite more than the male.



I'm thinking but not positive, that because Charlie's cere isn't really any colour at all, that it may be a female and because Sugar's is purple it may be a male.



Are they fancy or regular budgies? Had budgies all my life. Had a female budgie live to 14 years, she was a crusty old dame, but we loved her!
How can you tell what gender your pet budgies are?
Since I don't know how many months is a %26quot;few%26quot;, I can't say for sure. But it sounds like Sugar may be a male and Charlie is female. A mature male Budgie does indeed, have a cere that is some shade of blue and into the purples. Mature females ceres will be tan, light brown, cream color, etc. Their ceres may be the color now that they will always be. But, no, other than the cere, the laying of an egg, or a DNA test, there is no other sure way to tell the gender.
i am not sure, but i heard that male budgies have blueish-purple noses