Friday 7 October 2011

How Would You Define Your Naming Style?

Okay so there are several parts to this question:



1: How would you describe your naming style if you had to fit it into one category? (trendy, classic, vintage, etc.)

2) Do you feel your naming style differs based on gender? Please explain.

3) Do you have any %26quot;naming rules%26quot; that influence your style? What influences your style in general?

4) Has your taste in names (and overall style) changed throughout your life? If so, when, and how?

5) Finally, which of our fellow baby namers has a style MOST similar to your own? (feel free to give examples)



Have fun!
How Would You Define Your Naming Style?
1) I would describe it as either vintage or underused classics. I guess it tends to be a mix, but if I had to pick just one, vintage.



2) Definitely. My girl favorites are a bit more out there, I suppose, and diverse in styles (including Dorothy, Edith, Lavinia, Guinevere, Regan - pronounced REE-gan by the way, Cordelia, Persephone, Gaia). They%26#039;re a little all over the place. My boy favorites are a bit more trendy, to an extent. I do like some surnames as first names (more established ones for the most part - Donovan, Jackson, Addison, Harrison, Marshall, Davis, Bennett, Grant, Owen). My boy names are also significantly more common for the most part, though there are some exceptions (Benedict, Dexter, Atticus, Dorian, Alden). For me, I%26#039;m definitely more picky about boy names - it%26#039;s hard to find one I absolutely adore. I also love Irish names for girls, which doesn%26#039;t really fit into any of my usual style, but I find them lovely (and it doesn%26#039;t really bother me too much that no one could pronounce them).



3) Not really. Well, I hate 99% of unisex names on girls (and I suppose the rebel in me loves them on boys). I do have a couple exceptions to my rule though - Harper and Regan. For some reason, I adore them both but would most likely never use them, just because I have others that fit my taste better and that I like more. I also hate things misspelled/made-up/two names crammed together to make one.



4) Definitely. As a teen, my tastes were definitely more trendy and stupid, now that I look back on it (especially for girl names!). My favorites were Destiny (Desi was my nickname for it), Heaven (the two of them together is so cheesy!), Blaine and Darien. I do love the name Dorian, which is awfully similar to Darien, and I don%26#039;t dislike Blaine, so my girl taste has definitely changed by more than my boy taste. Thankfully! As an even younger child, I named my imaginary friend Charlie, which I do still think is cute but I would prefer Charles.



5) edfh_ak and I have very similar taste, for the most part. She surprisingly seems to love a lot of my combinations, and I adore 90% of the names on her list as well (we even have a couple in common - Audrey Caroline/Caroline Audrey and Emmeline Charlotte). Noelle and I also have very similar tastes (Donovan and Dean in common). Finally, astra lux and I share the exact same boy combo in common (Dean Charles - for both of us Charles is a family name I believe).
How Would You Define Your Naming Style?
1) Modern, not common, and maybe a little vintage!

2) For boys I like classic names like James, Alexander, Lewis- nothing too out there. But for girls i think there is a lot more room to be inventive and cutesy! So my girls name are a different style to boys completely.

3) I hate matchy names for brother and sisters or multiples.

4) Haven%26#039;t been a %26#039;baby namer%26#039; for long enough to know, but I;m sure it will change, and when I do have a baby I probably wont use the names I like now.

5) Twins due in March always suggests nice names, I seem to notice agreeing with her choices the most. Oh and Daighna! haha :-)
1. Classic

2. Not really. Their are some names, but not enough to make the style differ

3. I don%26#039;t like %26quot;trendy%26quot; spelling or misspelling names like Mackenzie vs. Mackynzie.

4. Slightly. When I was younger, I liked the more popular names- Kelsey, Chelsea names like that. But now, I%26#039;m more for names like Joseph, Noah, Elizabeth. I don%26#039;t really care how common a name is.

5. I think Kaylee and I are pretty similar in name styles.
1. I%26#039;d describe my naming style as classic, but modern.



2. For boys, I definitely prefer classic names like Henry. They just seem nicer. For girls, though, I tend to prefer slightly trendy names, though I do have a lot of classic names on my list.



3. Well, the names have to age well. That%26#039;s basically my only rule.



4. Yes, it definitely has changed. About 2 years ago, I loved super trendy names like Ashtyn (For a girl) and Aiden boy names. Since then, I%26#039;ve realized that they%26#039;re not my taste as they don%26#039;t age well. My style changed to what it currently is about a year ago, and I%26#039;m glad it did.



5. Honestly, I don%26#039;t know. I mean, a bunch of the baby namers have a similar style, but I can%26#039;t think of one that is really close to mine...Perhaps, αnnα?εl ?εε?



?
First, I%26#039;m only 17 and NOT preggers. However, I will answer the way I%26#039;d like it to be for me in the future when I have children.

1. Sentimentall - I%26#039;m going to give my future children names that have meaning in my life. For example, naming them for someone ( a teacher, doctor, or college professor) who has had some influence in my life.

2. No, there are both male and female people who areinfluentiall to me.

3. I can%26#039;t name children for those who are still alive because that is against Jewish beliefs (I%26#039;m part Jewish). This mainly applies to naming children for still living Jewish relatives orimmediatee family. I also don%26#039;t like the name Josef and am not planningto name my son that.

4. Unchanged as of yet.

5. None really.
My style would be traditional…



My children are Edward, Oliver, Alice, Beatrice %26amp; Grace



My ‘naming rules’ are is must be relatively easy to spell, pronounce and suitable for both a child and adult!



I have always liked traditional names
1. Classic and timeless names.



2. Nope, I like the %26quot;older%26quot; names for both genders.



3. My rules are nothing popular, trendy or misspelled.



4. In my teens I use too like the trendy misspelled names, now that I%26#039;m older I love the older names that you don%26#039;t really hear anymore.



5. Smoky, she is awesome and she picks great names.
1. Probably vintage. I tend to like names that are classic, but aren%26#039;t used often anymore. Names like Mabel or Oscar.

2. Not really. I don%26#039;t like trendy in either gender. Though I prefer D, M, and R names in girls and it%26#039;s a little more mixed in boys.

3. I don%26#039;t like unneccessary y%26#039;s or double n%26#039;s. Generally try to avoid the top 100 names in the U.S.

4. I used to love more classic names like Hannah or Jonathan.

5. I don%26#039;t participate in this category enough to answer, ahah.
1) Classic

2) No, I mostly like classic names, that have been around for a while.

3) Just everyday life, for example, if I meet someone in the street, whose name I love, when I get home I write it down, or make a mental note of it.

4) Yes, probably when I was about 12 years old. I loved the super up-to-date, trendy names. Now I like the more classic and calm names.

5) I have no idea. I personally like some of %26quot;Jenna %26lt;3 :) こんにちは Buon Natale%26quot; %26#039;s picks, there are also a few others as well.
1: I%26#039;d say mine was old fashioned for the most part but some modern in there.

2. Yes, for boys I%26#039;m very plain almost Common but kind of fashioned, for girls most of them are old fashioned, Louisa, May etc... but some more modern, Addison, Quinn, Reagan

3. I think that literature and family influences me also maybe pop culture, Addison is from Private Practice and Grey%26#039;s Anatomy, and so is Grey.

4. yes! Wehn i was littler i liked Warriors, and i liked names that could be part of warriors like Hunter, Holly, Ivy... but one name has been through it all and that%26#039;s Luke, and Alexander but Luke more.

5. I don%26#039;t know... I really don%26#039;t i was looking at Pixie%26#039;s answers... to another question theirs was kind of similar...
1)

Eclectic would be the right word. I don%26#039;t try and like a specific style of name - I just like what I like. The style does not matter.Overall, I would say I am drawn to more exotic names or names that land up being slightly unique or unusual for their popularity. I definitely am not a classic of vintage person. It%26#039;s not because they are %26#039;vinatge%26#039; or %26#039;classic%26#039; - it%26#039;s because I dislike many of the elemental sounds in them,example: Josephine. I dislike all %26#039;-jo%26#039; sounds (even for men, they just irritate me) and the majority of -een names I dislike.However, my names extend from a variety of styles. Example, Dylan is my all time fav boy name and it is ranked first in many countries and is in the top 100 of many countries.It is a very popular name. However, I also like names like Lark and Nola which are both in the 900s in their popularity. Names on my list vary from more traditional Dawson Alexander and Charlotte Eve to Dylan Storm, Asher West and Roarke Logan (said Rorke).So, overall I would have to say eclectic and quirky

2)

Not really. I have more names that are more unusual for girls, but, that is because I prefer girl names overall and spend more time looking at female names. There are a few unisex names that I like on girls, but I am trying to avoid them and stick to only gender specific names now. Overall, I like what I like. I like names like Dylan and Brandon and names like Larkin and Roarke for boys.I like names like Charlotte,Eve,Shannon and I like Blair, Ember and Arielle . So, it%26#039;s all an eclectic mix. Same for both genders- a mix

3)

Yes, like what you like because you like it.Whether it is ranked 1# OR 1000# - like it for pure reasons. Like it because you honestly just like the name.Be pure in your reasons for liking it. Make sure the name can be used in my country and I can get away with. As you know, I am South African so I am not as affected by your trends. I don%26#039;t have an Aidan or Nevaeh problem.The name I like might work in Ireland- but , it won%26#039;t necessarily in mine. I am fortunate that I can get away with a lot more names than someone who is in America or England ( depends on region) as I have 11 official languages and their are lots of official ethnic groups. So, when you have someone named Dumisani,Mandla,Rian,Jacques,Rajesh, Wikus and Ryan - names like Roarke or Asher aren%26#039;t that far out.So, naming rules summary : like it because you like it. Stick to what you like and be open-minded. Don%26#039;t pigeon-hole yourself in one style.No alliteration

3)

When I was younger, I used to be more traditional. Lots of Abigail,Rachael, Joshua, Shannon, Charlotte, Max, Ryan etc Then I went through a stage where I had to be %26#039;different%26#039;. I didn%26#039;t want very main stream names. I also went through a foreign stage.Loads of Italian and Irish names . For awhile now, I%26#039;m a lot more name grounded. I%26#039;m open to everything and anything now.I%26#039;m just liking what I like for the name - not it%26#039;s history etc I think the names I like now are more conistsent.Some of them I have loved for years now - so, it%26#039;s not a fad thing

5)

Pixie - she is quirky and they are slightly unusual because of their popularity.A couple of vintage and popular names mixed in their as well. Examples, Finnian, Finley,Tobias, Tristan,(g) Indigo,Tallulah,Skye etc

Followed by Hunter

Hunter is A LOT more daring than me. Her names are much more unsiqe or me. I adore her moxie, though

Silver epificary - she blends the names well. She mixes slightly unusual and classic

Even Jade%26#039;s Mommy is a bit like me. She is more traditional, though

Overall, I would say Pixie the most



Sorry that was so long! Fantastic question

:)
1: How would you describe your naming style if you had to fit it into one category? (trendy, classic, vintage, etc.)



Classic, very very classic. I%26#039;m not the type of loves name like %26#039;Kaylee%26#039; or %26#039;Nevaeh%26#039;. I want names that are strong, and classic and will truly age well. I want the names that I pick to sound good as a ?baby ?child ?teenager ?young adult ?parent ?grandparent ?senior citizen. The name %26#039;Kaylee%26#039; simply won%26#039;t work for your 90 year old grandmother.



2) Do you feel your naming style differs based on gender? Please explain.



Not at all, I%26#039;m still a classic namer for boys and girls, because classic names age the best, and the nickname choicse are usually absolutely fantastic, and everybody loves a classic name right? I don%26#039;t mean like %26#039;Harriet%26#039;, but like %26#039;Audrey%26#039;. That is classic.



3) Do you have any %26quot;naming rules%26quot; that influence your style? What influences your style in general?



??? No made up names [Nevaeh]

??? No ghetto names [Destiny]

??? No ridicolously trendy, will sound aged in thirty years names [Kaylee,Haylee,Baylee]

??? No ridicolously old sounding names [Maureen, Ingrid]



4) Has your taste in names (and overall style) changed throughout your life? If so, when, and how?



Oh god yes. Before when I was a kid, I%26#039;d give anything to have my name changed to Jessica Marie. Anything. But now? I still like the name Jessica, but it ain%26#039;t nothing to write home about, you know? I%26#039;ve really matured in names, and how did it happen? It did when my sister had her baby girl, and I just really started looking into baby names and I realized that names like %26#039;Jessica%26#039; were aged and just not as good as names can be.



5) Finally, which of our fellow baby namers has a style MOST similar to your own? (feel free to give examples)



Hmm...MW%26amp;M: Delaney Josephine is her daughter%26#039;s name, and I flipping love this name. YKYLM ~ GG: Hallie Marissa which I absolutely love. And edfh_ak because her names are classic and beautiful and she despises trendy names as well! And probably Caitlin [Kendall%26#039;s mom] because her son%26#039;s name is Kendall James, and that%26#039;s a name that I wanted to use, but the hubs wouldn%26#039;t let me [grr]



**Caitlin: Oops, I wrote %26#039;Caitlin Kendall%26#039;s Mommy%26#039; and I didn%26#039;t know that you asked the question! But seriously: I do love the names you pick ?