Friday 7 October 2011

Parents:Would you spank someone else's children if their parents said it was okay/asked you to?

This is merely for curiosity, I love open discussions like these. For parents who don't spank their children, you can answer this too, would you spank someone else's children even if you didn't spank your own?



For everyone:

What factors do you think would change your decisions? The child's gender? How well you knew the parents? How you were expected to spank them(implement or hand, clothed, underwear or bare)? The situation(a sleep over at your house, staying with you for a week while the parents were on vacation, coming to your house every day when they get home from school) and the offense(disobedience, vandalism, profanity, back talking etc.)?



Thanks! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!=)
Parents:Would you spank someone else's children if their parents said it was okay/asked you to?
No. I don't hit anyone unless they're an evenly matched adult who has dealt the first blow.
Parents:Would you spank someone else's children if their parents said it was okay/asked you to?
no i wouldnt i dont even spank my own...
Never.
I don't spank my own children so I would not spank someone else's child regardless of anything. I've never had issues with other people children misbehaving, even if I have been told they are hellions. SO it has never come to that, but I wouldn't strike a child even if they were very out of line.



(If they are older, I'd send them home. Period. I'm not dealing with someone else's messed up pre teen/teenager)
I might spank a niece or nephew with permission, but NEVER outside the family. They're your problem. Come get 'em.
No. The only factor is that I don't hit.
I would never spank someone else's children, it's not my place even if their parents asked me to, and I would expect that no one else would ever spank my child, if they were to spank her we would have major problems.
I have spanked my niece and nephew a few times and their parents are fully aware.
In our house we do spank, but only for behavior that could/would cause injury like touching a light socket, hitting, throwing, etc. We also have agreed that we are the only ones who will spank our child, our son is 2 1/2 yrs old.



I have been told by a friends that while watching his son (3 yrs) I could spank him, but personally it is not my child and I don't feel comfortable. I have been able to control situations with time outs without a problem.
No. Nothing would change my mind about it. It's wrong to hit anyone.
No. I am not spanking anyones' kids...though some people's brats do tempt me. Heck, I'm afraid to hug a kid that I'm not related to anymore. No way am I touching someone else's kid. I don't need that headache in my life of being accused of anything.
I have been given permission to spank someone else's child while babysitting them. I never have. I do on ocassion spank my own children. I don't ever find it necessary to spank someone else's child.
no. I used to babysit my nieces and the older at age 5 was quite the trouble maker and would get in fights in school, throw toys etc etc.. Her parents ( my then boyfriends, now husbands brother and sister in law) always told me to go ahead and spank her. The method was not discussed, they used a belt or a hand so I guess with what ever I wanted.

I never did spank her though and most of the time she acted ok with me. The times she didnt I just put her in her room until she calmed down etc.

I would not hit someone elses child, its just wrong. I have spanked my own kids once or twice ( not in years anymore because i just dont really think its effective in long term) and I would freak out if anyone else spanked them

And you dont spank older kids ( like when they are in elementary school age and older) you just hit them. I'm not sure why the term is used for younger kids because the action is the same. And I wouldnt hit or spank someone elses kids or even mine anymore in that matter
no i only spank my kids and that is it
no, no, and no. If a parent chooses to spank, that is their deal. It is absolutely not appropriate for a babysitter to be administering such harsh physical contact. And if a parent %26quot;expected%26quot; me to spank, I would leave. There are better options. For example, you might spank a two year old who ran out into the street, to teach them not to do that. Ok, thats cool, now let them go hang out by themselves on the sidewalk by the street. They now know not to go in the street since you just spanked them......no. A 2 year old is not ready for that yet. Get them out of the street, tell them in a firm voice why you were scared and why they cannot do that, then move on. When I am babysitting my voice always drops half an octave, it only sounds like that when Im totally serious about something. the kids always get all quiet and intimidated. They know.
never