Saturday 24 September 2011

What should you say if someone asks your name but you HATE it and feel like isn't yours?

What do you do if you hate your last name so much that you dread people asking what your name is?



Nobody understands how I feel, or why it bothers me so much, but I feel like I just got stuck with the wrong last name. It isn't me and I've hated it since I was a child. I'm mixed British Spanish but I got stuck with an all-American sounding last name and it really makes me crazy, because it's also a very common sounding name. It's just not music to my ears.

This semester I'm substitute teaching, and of course the kids want to know my name. I can't just refuse to tell them but I hate writing %26quot;Miss Jones:%26quot; on the board. I just want to scream, it's not mine.

I love the name Lopez and would like to be called that but I got into trouble for asking that last semester, big deal, right, shouldnt' you be free to be called the name you wnat?



I REALLY don't want to be called Ms Jones, I am in the middle of a big court battle to legally change my name.



No one understands why I hate the name so much... but, there are people who are transgendered, who are one gender but have the wrong body. Is it unreasonable to suppose that some people got the wrong name? I have just never been able to identify with thename I got and it feels like I%26quot;m wearing someone else's shabby old sweater.



You can get surgery to become a different gender, but if you just want to legally change your name, out of desire, the system makes it really hard.





What do I say when the kids ask my name?

I don't know what to tell them but I can't bear to be called Ms Jones, one more time.

It's making me crazy!
What should you say if someone asks your name but you HATE it and feel like isn't yours?
first of all..a big LOL because you make your own name sound funny yourself...but really, when i read your problem i kinda scanned through what you wrote because i dont really like reading long things and then i got a glimpse that you hate your name...well how bout you a) change your name legally b) self promote a nick name to everyone you know c) become an anti-social so's no one will ask you name %26quot;be invisible%26quot;.....i think you should go for a)
What should you say if someone asks your name but you HATE it and feel like isn't yours?
i hate my name too..
How about using your initials (J.J, S.D., ECT, ECT) until the court has ok'd the name change.
Tell them what your legal name is. Once it's legally changed, use that one.



Culture isn't in a name. My whole name sounds like some English Rose. I'm a Japanese mix raised in the Japanese culture which you would never know if you saw my name on paper. But I never felt my name took away my cultural identity. Plus I love my family which is the true meaning/value of my name.



Maybe your issue isn't with your name so much but how the name ties you to your family?
  • receiving error code 0x80072ee7
  • Bounce back error message received from
  •