Wednesday 21 September 2011

Would you visit a traditional hammam (Moroccan or Turkish-style bathhouse) in your home country?

I ask out of business curiosity - after visiting a new spa-style hammam today, I got to thinking.



Now, for those of you unfamiliar, although the Turkish and Moroccan styles differ, a hammam is basically a public bath without standing water.



You bring your own soap and implements, pay a nominal fee to go inside, sit and sweat in a sauna-like room, apply traditional soap, scrub or get scrubbed by a professional, then perform your regular shower routine at the end.



There are very traditional hammams and modern spa-style ones which still use the same methods. They are typically single gender. Tourists frequent them here.



SO...the question is...if someone opened one in your neighborhood, perhaps of the more modern variety (very clean, private areas for showering afterward), would you go? How much would you pay?



If it offered a range of spa treatments, would that change your answer?
Would you visit a traditional hammam (Moroccan or Turkish-style bathhouse) in your home country?
I would love that. I do think that if you are planning on opening one in the US you need to make it more appealing to the American taste. That goes for every country you need to cater to your specific market. I think the most important things to me would be sanitary practices and extra services (e.g: pedicures,facials...) Those are cool features. What I like in the Moroccan hammams is the fact that there is a masseuse that scrubs your entire body (I'm not sure if that is going to fly for American people-) I live in Vegas and in my hotel (Caesar's Palace) we offer an amazing spa with roman baths, tea sommelier and vichy showers (talk about taking an old concept and putting a modern spin on it - I love it)

So, yes is the answer to your question ;)
Would you visit a traditional hammam (Moroccan or Turkish-style bathhouse) in your home country?
We import Turkish hammam towels. If you like to have hammam towels, I have a website for you. http://www.hammamtowels.com/ . It will take you to The Eclectic Life, hammam towels.

Report Abuse


Well we have a hot tub house hear in Akron Ohio and every degenerate bastard frequents it , parking lot is always full not sure what they are doing in there :-) but they make a killing .
Definitely!