Friday 16 September 2011

When a trans gender person changes their name and such do they have to change all their old paperwork ?

I've been curious about this because it almost seems like when you change your name and sex it's like changing your identity. For instance if you apply to college ( after you have gotten an operation/ surgery and you are now a male) but your high school diploma/ transcript denotes you as a female with a different name, how does that work. And how would that work like if you're applying for a job and then all your college paperwork says you're a female and you have a different name.



Would everyone you come in contact to after you've changed realize that you were female b/c of all the paperwork that has to go through?



And I'm just asking as a general question to even for people who just change their names, like even after you do all the legal paper work and such will people always know your original identity?



I'm just curious as to how this all of this works. So if anyone can fill in this oblivious person here that'd be nice. Thanks.
When a trans gender person changes their name and such do they have to change all their old paperwork ?
YES, usually people make the rounds and change all the paperwork they can. Although in the information age it's impossible to ever totally get rid of the old name. It will always be hidden away in a database somewhere. However, that information should not be used against anyone.



After the legal name change virtually nobody will ever know I changed my name unless I tell them I did. And even then they will probably just assume I changed my name after a divorce. No, nobody can tell my medical history simply by looking at my paperwork. I even have a new birth certificate. If anyone asks the federal government, my employer or my state all they'll find is all my legal documents say FEMALE.



The process this all occurs varies depending on which state you're in. You can find links for more information here:



http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/name-ch鈥?/a>



here:



http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/drivers鈥?/a>



and here:



http://www.tsroadmap.com/reality/birth-c鈥?/a>





Oh and you might be interested to know the State Department recently changed the rules for passports, making it easier for transsexual people to get gender appropriate passports:



http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/06鈥?/a>





I hope you see that this is a formal process with many steps. Steps we do not take lightly.











Forgot to add: I went back and updated my high school records. I also got around the applying for a job problem by transitioning on the job. Nothing to worry about because my employer already knows me. And since I love my job I'm hoping to stay here until I retire (less than 20 years from now).



The system isn't perfect, but for day-to-day living it works out fine.
When a trans gender person changes their name and such do they have to change all their old paperwork ?
if you want to legally change your name, every document with your name on it has to be changed. this includes passports, driving licenses, high school or college diploma, etc. everything.
Most applications for college, work, drivers license, voter registration, etc. have spaces for names that the applicant has been previously known as. The person's social security number won't change, so there will always be a record of the previous identity--at least that's the way i understand it
Oh yesss.... It's out with the old / dead and in with the NEW...!!! All records have to be changed..And in many cases the %26quot;old%26quot; person, moves away to build a new life for themselves as well..

And my advice to anyone who is going through this transition, is for them to KEEP all their past identity papers / records, and do also keep official paper work from all government offices as to your i d change, and of course any paper work regarding this aspect... Dupes of such should also be made, with the originals kept in a very safe ./ secure place - safety deposit box, etc..

LEAVE NOTHING TO CHANCE...!!!!

Rachelle In High Heels